My will in subjection to God's will. That is wisdom.
But this gets me thinking. What would it look like to walk in wisdom, and to speak with wisdom? I don't have to go too far to have an idea of what that would look like. I can look at Jesus. I can notice what he did, hear what he says, see his reaction to different people's perspectives, and even talk to him about his thoughts.
So what do I find?
If I were wise, these are the things I should expect to see in my life:
- I will have a deep, abiding connection with God, through the Holy Spirit.
- I will have God's Word on my heart, mind, and lips.
- My lifestyle will be attractive.
- I will acknowledge God's role in my life and in the world.
- Some people will listen and learn from me. But most will find me troublesome. And of those who listen to me, most will not follow my advice.
- Whatever I pass on to others, it will honor God.
- Although people will frustrate me, I will remain patient with them.
- I will have no interest in controversial subjects unless it is of benefit to those who listen.
- My focus will always be on God's will, not on getting people to like me.
- People who are threatened by me will treat me unfairly. And those who are sympathetic, may even desert me. But my trust will be in the Lord.
- I will not seek honor. But will wait on the Lord.