Thursday, January 26, 2006

Worthy of Death?

During the Christmas holidays a friend of mine lost his wife. She was 47 years old, and died near her birthday in December. It was sad. It was such a shock. It was so unexpected.

I began thinking to myself, "Wow! She was too young to die."

Then that thought got me thinking. Why do I believe this to be true? What makes her too young to die? I don't know. Yes, I did not want her to die so young. But there are people I do not want to die who are much older. So who is worthy of death?

Is it an extremely old person? an ugly person? a stupid person? an evil person? an unhealthy person? Is there a sliding scale for any of these categories? Is there a better time of year to die? I don't know. In fact, everybody dies, and I am sure it happens just about everyday of the year. Why do we resist death so much?

We were never meant to die. We are made for eternity. Whether we believe in it or not, eternity is in the heart of mankind.

I don't know if this solves anything. But it is just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment