Thursday, May 25, 2006

Our Sound-Bite Culture

We are more educated by movies, T.V. shows, comedians, and radio talk show hosts than by books, bibles, or brains. We can't hold a civilized conversation about politics, religion, or philosophy anymore — nor can we have an intelligent conversation at all. Our premise for any discussion is either sans-God or pro-Naturalistic. Therefore, the results are absurd discussions (or foolish talk) that amount to nothing (Ephesians 5:3-7; 2 Timothy 2:16; Titus 3:9). We have an unhealthy interest in controversies or observing anything that contradicts the Word of God — like the desire to stare at a car wreck.

But why is that? Is this a new phenomenon?

No, it isn't new. In fact, it is the primary problem of mankind. We not only do not seek God, we actively oppose Him at every turn. (Romans 3:9-18) God's testimony against all of mankind is that we love the darkness. We seek it, and find comfort in it. Anything that exposes light on us, is rejected. (John 3:19-21) That is why any alternative to Christ is acceptable, even if it is absurd.

Case in point: I've had several conversations lately with people who have an intellectual objection (so they say) to the idea of the Christian God. They each have a different objection, but it isn't consistent with how they live their lives. For instance, one person says that he doesn't believe in Christ because he doesn't like the right-wing Christian's stand on various issues. So he maintains that he is an agnostic.

The problem with approaching faith this way is that it isn't consistent. The fact is that he doesn't agree with other agnostics either! In some cases, other agnostics, and atheist, are even jerks (in his own words). So, wouldn't it make sense not to be an agnostic either, since his fellow agnostics are disagreeable?

In another conversation a woman said that she would never step into a church, because it is so full of hypocrites. So, I asked her if there are hypocrites at her job. She said, yes.

"What about on the highway as you drive?"

"Absolutely!"

"What about any clubs or organizations you are a part of? Do they contain some hypocrites?"

"Yes. What's your point?"

"Why do you still work where you work, drive the highway you drive, or remain a member of that organization if they are full of hypocrites?"

"That's not a fair question."

You get what I mean. It is easier to know what we don't believe than to affirm genuine convictions.

God says that sinners really want to go their own way. They will create excuses to worship anything other than God. They will add nice sounding arguments, and pontificate about the abuses done by those who hold to the Christian viewpoint. But, they refuse to willingly bend the knee, and accept God's testimony.

I admit it. I was one of them, and at times, no different than they are. I can wax eloquent in justifying my sin and rebellion. But, deep down, I know that I do not measure up to the perfect standard, and I depend on God's grace alone. I have to admit, on a daily basis, that I stand because God condescends to stand me up. God doesn't need me, nor does He run around to make sure I am happy. But, I need God, and happiness is a by-product of God's kindness to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment